Saturday, October 23, 2010

Ben Franklin and Bette Midler, Soul Mates in Another Life? Boxed God Conclusion

Here's why:
Ben Franklin once wrote that he could not imagine that a "Supremely Perfect" God cares a whit for "such an inconsiderable Nothing as Man."*

A late Twentieth Century pop culture icon, Bette Midler, lamented the world's woes in a hit single, From A Distance in which the refrain is, "God is watching us, God is watching us, God is watching us from a distance."

The "Distant God" view* is nothing new or old. It is a common response by some to the question of whether or not God is there for humanity. To acknowledge His existence based on the wonder of creation, then intellectually push Him afar--way off into heaven--but allowing that He quietly watches our shenanigans on earth is a convenience for the fallen nature. We can comfort ourselves with sentimental songs and endlessly debate the strife of mankind, while not needing to take personal responsibility for individual sin. We may, in this view, appear both loving and law-abiding in song and quips, while our hearts play fast and loose with all prurient interests and the greed of life.

True enough, directions to "heaven" cannot be found with MapQuest and is thus imagined to be an unimaginable distance away. Hence, the Lord of Earth on the throne there may be conceptualized as distant. However, such a view alone, though technically holding some truth, undermines the fullness of viewing God as He has described Himself in His scriptural revelations:

John 17: 20-21 I do not ask on behalf of these alone, but for those also who believe in Me through their word; that they may all be one; even as You, Father, are in Me and I in You, that they also may be in Us, so that the world may believe that You sent Me.

Hebrews 13:5 Make sure that your character is free from the love of money, being content with what you have; for He Himself has said, "I WILL NEVER DESERT YOU, NOR WILL I EVER FORSAKE YOU..."
Jesus Christ is only distant within the perspective of the believer who lives life not in the spirit but identifying with the fallen nature and desires to be attached to earthly wealth.

I like what my second eldest son wrote as a comment three or so posts back, "I think many people limit their view of God to being 'outside' their box...if you let God in your little box, and do what you can with your knowledge and (the)means God has given you, then He can take your action in your own little world and do enormous things outside your box you didn't know were possible."

My conclusions:

Since God is not distant from me but rather awesomely close in the reality of His in-dwelling Presence, I may submit fully to His authority through the righteousness of Christ; thus, I experience His deep love and express His authority through an authentic loving of others. I am comforted that this life and its injustice shall pass, and the government of Earth will rest upon the Truth and Purity of Jesus one day. In all things in the mean time, I know His Kingdom has come to Earth in my heart and share in the fruit of that wonderful state with and among my brethren fellow believers.



3 comments:

JJ Weekz said...

Amen and amen!

I went through a time where, when all the loose ends of my abusive childhood were coming together, I doubted if God were here with me. I thought of him rather like this distant person on a faraway planet.

But then one day in a time of great confusion I received in short a vision of the cross in a night sky where there were no other clouds around. I heard the words: "I am there."

I wondered why these words came to be like that, saying "there" instead of "here". And then I later realized it was because that's how I thought of God, faraway. He wanted me to know he was there where I was.

Later, I got confirmation to this when I was continuing to go through some trials while I was working at an orphanage for my church. One of the girls with downs syndrome had this habit of copying out parts of the bible on Sundays. I picked up one of these copies and read. At the end of it, these words: "He is there."

I knew this was for me. I had to take a break because I was so excited by this "proof" and cried in thankfulness to the Lord.

Whenever I doubt, I think of this. The atheist seeks signs, and says until they can see God that He is just a figment of our imagination. But the believer does not look for signs and yet finds them everywhere, and knows in his heart this is real.

careyrowland said...

Hear here. Amen.

ded said...

His Bride, thanks for sharing. I appreciate your witness of God's faithfulness. I especially enjoyed your words, "But the believer does not look for signs and yet finds them everywhere, and knows in his heart this is real."

Hey Carey... thanks for your encouragement!! Hope we see one another soon, at least, at the wedding!